Officially recognized by the Japanese government in 1940, the Aikikai Foundation is the parent organization for the development and popularization of Aikido throughout the world.
In 1931, the Founder built a dedicated Aikido Dojo. This was a wooden building approximately 120 square meters (80 tatami mats) in size, called the Kobukan, located in present-day Wakamatsu-Cho, Shinjuku. In 1967 the original wooden structure housing the Aikido Hombu Dojo was replaced by a modern concrete building. In 1973 the building was modernized, and the fourth and fifth floors were added to the building.
Aikido has become established in 130 countries, and under the direction of Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba, instructors carry on the spirit of Aikido which continues to grow throughout the world.